The Korea Stamp Society’s (KSS) Board, after wide-ranging discussions with the membership, have decided to implement new guidelines for KSS membership starting on January 1, 2023. We have grown over the past four years from less than 40 members to over 400. During this period, we have not charged for KSS membership. The Board believes that the KSS needs members who are dedicated to collecting and researching all types of Korean philately, and who wish to learn from others and who will also contribute ideas and articles to the KSS.
It is felt that too many of our members signed up for a one-time visit, and then did not visit the website again. It does not matter if our members are beginners looking for basic information on Korean philately or experienced and/or specialized; the KSS wants all types of Korean collectors who will visit the website regularly and contribute to maintaining a viable society.
The changes are as follows:
- Five types of KSS membership will be available, beginning on January 1, 2023.
- An annual membership fee will be available for US$20. This will enable access to all the digital content on the KSS website, including articles, the digital Korean Philately and downloads of philatelic literature.
- A 2-year membership fee of US$30,
- A 5-year membership fee of US$90,
- Life Membership for US$150.
If the KSS ceases operating, the fees are not refundable.
- For 2023, anyone who has signed up for membership before the end of 2022 will not be required to pay a membership fee for one year.
- All new applicants in 2023 will need to apply for one of the available membership plans.
- All members who joined before 2018 (when dues were required) are granted Life Membership. This represents approx. 40 members.
- Membership fees can be waived for members if they have two articles accepted for publication in Korean Philately over the course of one membership year. If they contribute three articles, they will be granted free membership for two years. There is no restriction on the length of articles, and KSS officers will assist contributors, where necessary, especially if English is not their first language. A guide to writing articles for publication will be made available in due course.
- We recognize that some members may not have the financial ability to pay the new fee structure. For those who cannot afford the yearly fee, they may apply for a hardship (free) membership. This must be requested annually by the relevant member.
If any member requires more information about these new changes or their membership status, please contact the KSS.